Step 4: Positive Motivation
One of the most powerful tools in self-motivation, is to understand the why behind your goal. You may not know the how just yet, but it is crucial that you know why you want to achieve your goal. Your brain is not stupid. It will only work toward an outcome or goal, if it recognizes “what’s in it for me?”
So, having said this, your job is to make a list of all the positive benefits you will experience if you stay committed to achieving your goal.
Understanding Positive Self-Motivation
As you ask yourself how you will benefit, here are some other ways of thinking about “benefits” that will assist you:
- Positive Consequences
- Positive Associations and beliefs behind my Goal
- Reasons you want this goal
- Purpose behind the goal
- The “Why” Behind Your Goal
- Positive Feelings such as Joy and Happiness
Create as long of a list as you can! The more positive reasons you can think of, the more willing you’ll be to take action toward your goals! Remember, you have to build self-motivation – it doesn’t come easy. And this is exactly what you are doing right now!
Do you have a nice big long list of positive reasons? Still needing some help? Here is a list of questions to “jog” your memory for more reasons!
Positive Self Motivation Questions
1. How will my achievement of this goal provide me with more momentum and leverage to achieve my other goals?
2. How does staying committed to this goal increase my self-esteem?
3. Who will I become a role model for once I achieve this goal?
4. What new opportunities or doors will open for me as a result of achieving this goal?
5. What will I have learned as a result of achieving this goal?
Did this list help you? What we are doing, is using the power of positively focused questions to harness more inspiration to get you moving forward with your goals.
The more unique and powerful questions that you can come up with, the more leverage you will get! So, before you move along to step 5, which is the power of “negative motivation”, make sure you create a long, meaningful list of reasons why achieving your goal is important to you.